Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Surviving the Tuesday (that feels like Monday)

Today was about survival from the start.

And, man, it started off a little rough.  Our usual quiet, peaceful walk around the neighborhood involved an inordinate number of threatening squirrels, 4 puke breaks (the dogs, not the humans), attack birds and two close-encounters with the sidewalk and my face.

After going through both of my closets, only to determine that I have NOTHING to wear, I threw on a skirt (recent ebay purchase, relevant at later point) and mismatched sweater set, and I made a mad dash to the car with Brian dutifully following behind me with the to-go coffee mug, half my breakfast and my lunch that I forgot in the madness of dumping everything I own into my purse.  I then made it halfway to the office (9 miles away, but 45 minutes of my life...), to realize that the beeping was not background music, but rather my insulin pump reminding me that I was out of insulin.  A U-turn, pump change, to-go mug refill and 30 minutes later, I was back on the road and heading into work.

Fortunately, traffic was lighter, and I made it to my desk in time for my first appointment- only to look down and realize that my new skirt had a huge stain on it's silk, dry clean only and WHITE front...

Now, I seriously hope that your Tuesday-pretending-to-be-a-Monday was better than mine, but if it was just as bad, darling, you are not alone.

I've decided that the cure to a bad morning, is a little sweat.  Tuesdays and Thursdays, I work out at the gym in my office building with a trainer, who I refer to as 'The Torturer'.  Today, she tortured, but I actually felt better afterwards.  I also realized, after her grand inquisition of my weekend... Her "how was your weekend? What did you eat? Did you drink? Did you work out?" questions brought a sense of accountability that has developed into an unfamiliar and nagging feeling.  Typically, after a morning that started off with such chaos, I'd make a beeline for the office candy jar and indulge in a good, old fashioned binge of chocolate and caloric excess.  Today, I went to the gym for our session, then I took the stairs up to my office on the 4th floor.  Twice.  I had a salad for lunch and grilled chicken with quinoa for dinner (and two Skinny Girl Margaritas... hey, moderation, not perfection!).

The Torturer (and her questions) made me feel like I had a cheerleader planted firmly in my corner, wanting me to succeed.  I can't guarantee that I will take the stairs tomorrow, or my eating will be perfect, but I'll be ready for her questions on Thursday with some positive and healthy answers!  Just some food for thought, as you recover from your Monday/Tuesday.  And, remember, at least it's a short week!

Since I've been on a working out kick today, here is further proof from the Mayo Clinic that regular exercise needs to be penciled into your crazy and hectic life! 

Stay tuned for Healthy Living Tip #2 tomorrow (and #3 on Thursday.. get where I am going with this??).

Also, I'm adding a poll to get an idea of the topics that you would most enjoy reading about!  Feel free to vote and leave comments to help me build a blog that you really love to read!

Here's to surviving a long weekend and then getting back into the routine!




No comments:

Post a Comment